Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 11 Dec 2015, 21:10

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: wanting to start?
PostPosted: 28 Nov 2007, 19:44 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

hello. i am new to trappinmg and have never done it before. i am trying to find some one in NW AR to learn from. have a truck and can drive some to meet up. but would like just to tag along with some one a time or two. willing to do whatever needed to help. just wanting to learn. thanks for any replys

stuck

Post subject: Re: wanting to start?
PostPosted: 04 Dec 2009, 17:00 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

where in NW AR ?

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2010, 08:02 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Farmboy that post is two years old, he may not be around here anymore?

Archery/Youth Deer Camp 2011- Everyone else in the group/camp-1 hen turkey, 1 coyote, 3 squirrel's, 1 groundhog, 1 single horn spike, 2 does, 1 button buck and 8 miss's. Youth gun deer season 2 adult does-2 doe fawns. Me-0-goose eggs-nada

PostPosted: 11 May 2010, 20:39 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

looks like arkansas dont' have many arkies on this blog, i'm from central ark have 22 yrs under my belt, and if anyone needs help always happy to help

PostPosted: 11 May 2010, 21:29 
heathnshaw, welcome to the Forum. Make a post on the campsite and introduce yourself there if your of a mind to.

PostPosted: 11 May 2010, 21:59 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Welcome to the Forum heathnshaw, like redrooster said, come on up to the Camp Fire thread and join in. We do have a couple of guys from Arkansas who were regular, but have sort of faded away for the moment. I visited with one last year in Mena at the FTA Convention.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2011, 20:31 
Trapper
Trapper

I'm going to start back next winter, health permitting. Been about 30 years since I have trapped. Retired now, so Beekeeping in summer, trapping in winter will keep me as busy as I want to be. :lol: I live at Shady, out from Mena.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2011, 08:43 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

ArkieFur wrote:
I'm going to start back next winter, health permitting. Been about 30 years since I have trapped. Retired now, so Beekeeping in summer, trapping in winter will keep me as busy as I want to be. :lol: I live at Shady, out from Mena.

I am not sure about Shady, but the black bear population around Mena has gotten pretty large, just wondering if they deal you any misery with your bee hives? Glad to see another "old timer" deciding to get back into trapping. :wink:

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2011, 09:22 
Trapper
Trapper

There are bears within 2 miles of me, but have not seen one around where I live.
An interesting fact I found out about bears and beehives is that the bears are actually looking for bee larva instead of honey! I was lied to when I was growing up!! :shock:
As for as the getting back to trapping, I am probably as rusty as my traps are, but I have a neighbor that has been trapping all his life, so maybe I can catch up some! :lol:

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2011, 09:39 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

ArkieFur wrote:
There are bears within 2 miles of me, but have not seen one around where I live.
An interesting fact I found out about bears and beehives is that the bears are actually looking for bee larva instead of honey! I was lied to when I was growing up!! :shock:
As for as the getting back to trapping, I am probably as rusty as my traps are, but I have a neighbor that has been trapping all his life, so maybe I can catch up some! :lol:

Welcome from the Bluegrass!! Don't feel bad I was lied to also, last week!! Hope you enjoy your retirement, trapping will surely help. Good Luck!!!

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2013, 08:20 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

This is startling news! You mean to tell me Pooh is a fake!! He really doesn't want honey?!

Then he became very hungry and wanted to eat; but while they made ready, he fell into a trance and saw heaven opened and an object like a great sheet bound at the four corners, descending to him and let down to the earth. In it were all kinds of four-footed animals of the earth, wild beasts, creeping things, and birds of the air. And a voice came to him, “Rise, Peter; kill and eat.” Acts 10:10-13

2013-2014 Totals

Coyote 3
Bobcat 6
Fox 16
Coon 34
Possum 11
Beaver 12
Domestic Dog 6

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2014, 00:51 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Morning folks. Like a couple of other folks I've seen posting here, I've not trapped in many years and have decided to get back into it as something we can do as a family, teach my kids how to become a little more self sufficient and familiarize them with the wonders of the wilderness.

I darn near had a heart attack when I started adding all this stuff up, but I figure we'll have plenty of critters to eat and trade to make it worthwhile.

Donnie

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2014, 19:10 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

good luck.
keep us informed , with pics

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2014, 20:13 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

dkennedy wrote:
Morning folks. Like a couple of other folks I've seen posting here, I've not trapped in many years and have decided to get back into it as something we can do as a family, teach my kids how to become a little more self sufficient and familiarize them with the wonders of the wilderness.

I darn near had a heart attack when I started adding all this stuff up, but I figure we'll have plenty of critters to eat and trade to make it worthwhile.

Donnie

Donnie,

Good to have you on WAT, feel free to come out on the Camp Fire thread and visit with us. There are others on here from Arkansas. Will you be making the NTA convention in October over in Arkedelphia? several of us on the site plan to meet up there. Good luck on your new adventure and know that there are no "stupid questions"....maybe some questionable answer here on WAT.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2014, 16:28 
Trapper
Trapper

Swamp, got 2 jars of honey to bring to you. Little darker and stronger this year than it was last year, but still good. I'll call your cell when I get there.

Donnie, are you going to the ATA convention at Petit Jean Sept. 11th and 12th? I'll be there. Will have my 9 YO grandson with me.

Swamp, you're welcome too, of course!

Wayne Falkner

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2014, 20:39 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Thanks ArkieFur, I do enjoy Petit Jean Park, but I am pretty sure I won't be there this time. Will see you in Arkedelphia. I hope someone is cooking biscuits in a Dutch Oven so we can try out some of that honey! :lol:

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2014, 08:42 
Trapper
Trapper

Swamp Rat wrote:
Thanks ArkieFur, I do enjoy Petit Jean Park, but I am pretty sure I won't be there this time. Will see you in Arkedelphia. I hope someone is cooking biscuits in a Dutch Oven so we can try out some of that honey! :lol:

Speaking of Dutch ovens, Several years ago I bought a real nice cast set in a wooden box with rope handles at a yard sale. Brand new, never been used. It had a 12" oven, a griddle, and 3 other pieces in it, I moved it around out of my way for all those years and last year I decided to take it to the convention and donate it to the auction. Dang set brought nearly $150!! Kinda hated to get rid of it but my storage building was stuffed and I never used it. Don't have near the room since I retired and built this cabin on the creek.